I am so grateful for the year that has come and gone.
Even though I wasn’t able to do as much freediving as I would’ve liked, I was still lucky enough to take part in a pool competition and dive for fun and enjoyment in the sea.
This has been a tough year for many people. My hardest year was 2019, so I felt almost prepared for whatever 2020 could bring.
During 2020, I completed the following projects:
- “Wayan and the Turtle King” is now available on africanstorybook.org in a variety of languages (Amharic, Kiswahili, Arabic, isiZulu, English, Afrikaans, Malagasy) for free reading and download.
- I worked with Aina and Boky Mamiko to create a Malagasy-French version of “Wayan and the Turtle King”.
- I translated the book into Afrikaans and published the Afrikaans-English edition.
- Yuki translated Wayan and the Turtle King into Japanese.
- 20 copies of the Malagasy-French edition donated to Boky Mamiko.
- I donated 10 copies of the French-English edition to an elementary school in Moorea, Polynesia.
- French-English copies donated to local NGOs such as CDMM and schools like l’ecole de la Mer.
- I recorded a YouTube video reading of “Wayan and the Turtle King”.
- I added lots of lesson plan resources to the website.
- I enrolled in a MOOC on Marine Litter created by UNEP and the Open Univeristy of the Netherlands.
- I picked up soooooooooooooooooooooo much litter from the beaches in my area – and I started counting, weighing, and analysing what I found.
I also created a calendar for you to dowload and print for free: Bali Calendar 2021.
My ongoing projects are:
- doing more beach cleans in 2021
- doing local outreach where I am (being brave!)
- creating more resources
- doing more freediving
- teaching kids online and face-to-face about plastic and how to care for our planet.